Reference received: 16 September 2004
Report 109, Expert witnesses [PDF, 1Mb], June 2005
Tabled in parliament: 15 September 2005
Legislative action: Uniform Civil Procedure Rules (Amendment No 12) 2006
Judicial citation: Wall v Cooper  WASCA 53 ; Simon v Hunter and New England Area Health Service  NSWSC 758 
Issues Paper 25: Expert witnesses [PDF, 76Kb], November 2004
Judicial citation: Australian Securities and Investments Commission v Rich (2005) 190 FLR 242 (NSW SC) 
Terms of reference
1. To inquire into and report on the operation and effectiveness of the rules and procedures governing expert witnesses in New South Wales.
2. In undertaking this inquiry, the Commission should have regard to:
- recent developments in New South Wales and other Australian and international jurisdictions in relation to the use of expert witnesses, including developments in the areas of single or joint expert witnesses, court-appointed expert witnesses, and expert panels or conferences;
- current mechanisms for the accreditation and accountability of expert witnesses for the purposes of court proceedings, including the practice of expert witnesses offering their services on a "no win, no fee" basis;
- the desirability of sanctions for inappropriate or unethical conduct by expert witnesses; and any other related matter.
3. The Commission to report no later than 31 March 2005.